Great Trade Interviews
20th July 2013
Marketers can be needlessly cautious about talking to trade journalists. In general, journalists are not there to catch you out and spin your words. But do follow the basics….
- Never say anything that you are not prepared to go into print. Being tipsy at an industry event is not a defence!
- Don’t go ‘Off The Record’ unless you have a built trust.
- If you feel unsure, close the conversation and agree to get back to them.
- Prepare fully for an interview. Use role play and think of likely questions in advance and prep your answers.
- On the day be natural and authentic. Don’t sound like an advert.
- Don’t let the interview start with a negative
- Don’t be led into using words you disagree with
- Look for real examples to bring it to life
- With tricky questions remember the ABC – Answer, Bridge, Communicate your message
- Keep jargon in check unless it is called for
- ‘No Comment’ can be seen as defensive
- Don’t be lulled into a conversation
- Don’t be steered off message
- Master delivering succinctly so it is quotable.
Above all, enjoy it. If you help them build their knowledge and file great stories they will be helping you build not only your company reputation, but your personal one too.